🏅 Sports · Associated Press
Max Verstappen extends contract with Red Bull to 2030 after he weighed up leaving F1 - AP News
From Associated Press via USVI News: Max Verstappen has extended his Formula 1 contract with Red Bull to 2030, the team has announced. Verstappen has won four world driving championships since making his debut with the team in 2016 and has 71 Grand Prix victories. The announcement Thursday ahead.
Max Verstappen extends contract with Red Bull to 2030 after he weighed up leaving F1
Red Bull driver Max Verstappen of the Netherlands attends a news conference ahead of the Dutch Formula One Grand Prix in Zandvoort, Netherlands, Thursday, Aug. 20, 2026. (AP Photo/Darko Bandic)
Red Bull driver Max Verstappen of the Netherlands walks away after a news conference ahead of the Dutch Formula One Grand Prix in Zandvoort, Netherlands, Thursday, Aug. 20, 2026. (AP Photo/Darko Bandic)
Second placed Red Bull driver Max Verstappen of the Netherlands celebrates after the Formula One Hungarian Grand Prix auto race, at the Hungaroring racetrack in Mogyorod, near Budapest, Hungary, Sunday, July 26, 2026. (AP Photo/Darko Bandic)
ZANDVOORT, Netherlands (AP) — Max Verstappen says he seriously considered leaving Formula 1 before the four-time champion instead committed to four more years with Red Bull on Thursday.
The announcement of his contract extension ahead of Verstappen’s home Dutch Grand Prix this weekend ends speculation that he could seek a blockbuster move to another team or quit the sport.
It comes despite Red Bull struggling to match the pace of leading team Mercedes this season, and Verstappen’s own frustration with how much the 2026 cars rely on electrical power.
“After the first few races (this year), I said to Laurent (Mekies, Red Bull team principal): ‘Don’t come to me with any kind of questions about the future because I don’t even know if I want to stay.’ Honestly, we always kept it very open,” Verstappen said.
He added that talks with F1 and governing body the FIA had persuaded him that “we are slowly working towards something that becomes better and better” with the current cars, while the new contract until 2030 could cover a potential — but not confirmed — return to simpler V8 engines.
“Even if I’m not entirely happy with how the package is, I still love racing, this is still the pinnacle of motorsport, so I still want to be here,” he added.
Asked whether he’d spoken with other teams, he said: “I think I was closer to retiring than changing team.”
The Verstappen-Red Bull pairing could set an F1 record
Seeing out the contract in full would take Verstappen to 15 seasons with Red Bull. It would be the longest-running driver-team pairing in F1 history. It comes with strong support for team principal Mekies after he replaced the team’s founding boss Christian Horner last year.
In return, Mekies laid out how the team is built around Verstappen.
“He’s a lot more than the fastest driver in the world for us,” Mekies said. “He’s the central point of the team. He’s one we always refer to for all the strategic decisions we are making, and to know that he’s going to be with us in order to build that next winning cycle is phenomenal.”
Verstappen, already considered one of F1’s all-time greats at the age of 28, has yet to win a race this season. The 71-time race winner hasn’t had a winless season since his rookie year in 2015.
Why there was speculation Verstappen might move
This article is republished through the USVI News affiliate desk. Reporting, analysis, and viewpoints are those of the original publisher and do not necessarily reflect USVI News.