đŹ Science ¡ Ars Technica
Rocket Report: SpaceX makes its mark on the Moon; ULA names new boss - Ars Technica
From Ars Technica via USVI News: Taiwan's effort to develop its own satellite launcher hit a setback this week.
Welcome to Edition 9.07 of the Rocket Report! Chinaâs workhorse Long March rocket family appears to be rebounding quickly from a rare launch failure August 10. Chinese officials have not publicly released any information on what may have caused the Long March 7A rocket to break apart less than 90 seconds after liftoff, but the rocketâs use of YF-100 engines initially raised questions about the failureâs impact on other Chinese rockets that use the same type of engines. But no biggie. YF-100 engines returned to flight six days later with the successful flight of a Long March 12 rocket, and the heavy-lift Long March 5âalso with YF-100 enginesâis set to launch in a few days with one of Chinaâs most important space missions of the decade: the Changâe 7 lunar lander en route to the Moonâs south pole.
Trouble in Taiwan. A prototype for a future satellite launch vehicle developed by Taiwanâs top weapons manufacturer veered off course shortly after liftoff Wednesday, Taiwanâs Central News Agency reports. The âtrajectory anomalyâ prompted the activation of the rocketâs self-destruct mechanism. The government agency responsible for the test flight, the National Chung-Shan Institute of Science and Technology (NCSIST), reported no injuries or property damage. Debris from the rocket fell into a planned safety control zone near the southern tip of Taiwan.
Parallel paths⌠Details about Wednesdayâs rocket test are scarce, but the flight likely involved a sub-scale suborbital version of NCSISTâs planned military satellite launcher. The launch was the first test flight for the militaryâs satellite launch program, which focuses on developing a solid-fueled rocket to place small payloads into low-Earth orbit. At the same time, the civilian Taiwan Space Agency is developing a liquid-fueled satellite launcher that could be ready for orbital missions in the early 2030s.
Second failure for South Koreaâs Innospace. A small suborbital rocket owned by South Korean startup Innospace lost control Thursday seconds into a test flight from Brazilâs Alcântara Space Center, the company said in a statement. The Brazilian Air Force, which runs the spaceport, activated the Sebit rocketâs flight termination system after it deviated from the planned trajectory. Innospace said there were no injuries or property damage. âWhile we regret that the planned flight could not be fully completed, the test flight provided valuable flight data from key systems, including the launch pad, propulsion system, and guidance, navigation and control (GNC),â Innospace said.
Hard times⌠Sebit is a âmultipurpose suborbital rocketâ designed to carry payloads up to 100 kilometers (62 miles) altitude, the boundary between Earthâs atmosphere and space. This was the second consecutive failure for Innospace, which attempted its first orbital launch from the same Brazilian spaceport in December. In a similar outcome to this weekâs launch, Innospaceâs Hanbit-Nano orbital rocket spun out of control seconds after liftoff.
Satellite operators fear launch crisis. SpaceXâs success with the Falcon 9 rocket helped open new avenues to orbit for a host of satellite startups. But the Falcon 9 may soon go away. SpaceX is eager to retire it in favor of the much larger, still unproven Starship rocket. This has led to consternation in the commercial satellite industry, Ars reports. There are growing concerns that SpaceX will largely focus on its own payloadsâStarlink V3 satellites and orbital data centersâbecause of their potential to drive far greater profits. The Starship rocketâs Pez satellite dispenser, optimized for Starlink, is an indication of the companyâs priorities.
Coming soon⌠SpaceXâs Gwynne Shotwell has previously said the operational lifetime of the Falcon 9 may end in 2030 or 2032. However, more recently, commercial satellite customers have been running into difficulties when trying to purchase a launch after 2028. One source said SpaceX has told the US government that it intends to end commercial launches after 2028 but will continue flying the Falcon 9 rocket for a limited number of federally contracted missions after that. Whether or not these dates stick, it has become clear to commercial satellite operators that they can no longer reliably plan their future around the workhorse Falcon 9.
This article is republished through the USVI News affiliate desk. Reporting, analysis, and viewpoints are those of the original publisher and do not necessarily reflect USVI News.