Local USVI News
USVI News

Trinidad Promoter Sues Over Burna Boy Concert, Seeking Compensatory Damages

• Bookmarks: 27


Burna Boy’s Caribbean tour is over, but now that the throngs of adoring fans singing lyrics word for word have dispersed, Damini Ugulu — or rather his legal team — must grapple with a legal challenge stemming from his appearance in Trinidad & Tobago.

Cash Money Brother Promotions is suing Ugulu and his agent United Talent Agency, as well as four Trinidadian and US-based promoters.

The claimant says that Burna Boy and the other defendants conspired amongst themselves to use private information to exclude Cash Money from the booking arrangements for Burna Boy’s Friday, December 16th performance. This, attorneys for the claimants argue, has resulted in reputational damage, loss of potential profit, and consequential loss.

Michael Durham of Cash Money Brothers is claiming heavy financial losses from the alleged conspiracy. He says the defendants intentionally stalled the payment process that was required to bring Burna Boy’s “Love, Damini” tour to Trinidad, and unfairly and deceitfully upped the contractual price after the agreement was signed. 

The claim includes correspondence between Durham and the defendants, containing information his attorneys say was used behind is back to book a new contract with the artist. The messages exchanged reportedly contained details about Burna Boy’s rider, the contract, approval for the venues, stage designs, proposed sponsors, and the event budget.

Day’s before last Friday’s show, a pre-action protocol letter was sent by Durham’s attorney Marikia Trim, warning one of the defendants — Shawn Moses of SM Promotions — to cancel all plans for hosting the event at the O2 park in Chaguaramas or face an injunction. Trim says that the contract signed between Durham and the recording artist committed Burna Boy to perform at the Hasely Crawford Stadium instead. 

Moses’s attorneys then responded to say that the show at the new location would proceed. His legal team have also rebutted the allegations about information sharing, saying that Moses did not in fact receive any of the details Durham claims he had discussed with the other promoters.

Ultimately, Durham decided not to pursue an injunction against Friday’s show, in favor of taking the matter to court after the fact. Cash Money Brothers said this was due to respecting the patrons who had already purchased tickets. 

The civil suit did not quantify the amount of money Durham and his company are seeking, however he had already expended thousands in legal fees and consultancy services ahead of the concert. The promoter says he intends to seek damages in court inside Trinidad and in other jurisdictions, and is seeking to recoup every cent that was spent in preparation to bring the artist to Trinidad.

Apart from Burna Boy, Christian Bernhardt of United Talent Agency , and Moses, other defendants include Oita Ugeh of Duke Concept Entertainment, Jules Sobion of Caesar’s Army and Crystal Cunningham of Twisted Entertainment Barbados. 

Caesar’s Army has since put out a statement saying that they were not involved in any way whatsoever with the planning or execution of last Friday’s event.

Immediately following the concert, social media was littered with complaints about the event’s poor execution. Burna Boy’s performance however, was highly praised.

This post was orig­i­nally pub­lished on this site

27 recommended
85 views
bookmark icon
USVI News

FREE
VIEW