St. Thomas and St. John Seniors to be Serenaded by Stanley and the Ten Sleepless in Event Organized by AARP, First Lady For Older Americans Month
After a rousing success on St. Croix last weekend, First Lady Yolanda Bryan, the AARP in the Virgin Islands and Stanley and the Ten Sleepless Knights will celebrate St. Thomas-St. John seniors and their contributions to the community with an “Ol’ Time Serenade” on Saturday and Sunday, May 21 and May 22, Government House has announced.
The first serenade took place on Saturday, May 14 on St. Croix, and the celebration is in commemoration of Older Americans Month, according to the release.
Also in celebration of seniors, and as part of Governor Albert Bryan’s “Healthier Horizons” initiative to promote the health and wellness of Virgin Islanders, the Governor recently announced his new “Our Best Life” program to support physical, mental and emotional well-being, with a focus on the senior population.
“Our Best Life” is being managed jointly by the Office of the Governor, the Department of Human Services and the Department of Sports, Parks and Recreation.
Government House said that as part of this new health and wellness initiative, Mr. Bryan is re-establishing the Commission on Aging to suggest policies affecting seniors; provide more training for home healthcare aides; and expanding “Meals on First Lady Yolanda Bryan, right, and Human Services Commissioner Kimberley Causey-Gomez celebrate seniors at the “Ol’ Time Serenade” last week on St. Croix. Wheels” services.
Additionally, in the upcoming weeks the Department of Parks, Sports and Recreation will announce plans for major family-oriented events, and the “Our Best Life” website is scheduled to debut live on May 16.
The full schedule for the Ol’ Time Serenades is as follows:
Saturday, May 21 – St. Thomas
• 8:25 a.m. – Band boards the band trolley at the Seaplane and heads out to Ebenezer Gardens Home.
• 10 to 10:45 a.m. – Queen Louise Home, Hospital Ground.
• 11 to 11:45 a.m. – Ebenezer Gardens, Hospital Ground.
• Noon to 12:45 p.m. – Lucinda Millin Home, Long Bay
• 1 to 1:45 p.m. – Celestino A. White Senior Living, Sugar Estate
• 2 to 2:45 p.m. – Schulterbrant Home, Anna’s Retreat.
• 4 to 6 p.m. – Fort Christian Parking Lot.
Sunday, May 22 – St. John
• 1 p.m. – Barge service to St. John from Red Hook.
• 1:30 to 2:15 p.m. – Cruz Bay Park.
This post was originally published on this site