Local USVI News

Man Tortures Girlfriend, Placing Spoon Kept in Hot Oil on Her Body, Beating Her With Gun, Locking Her in His Room Daily, Police Report Says

• Bookmarks: 38

ST. CROIX — A man appeared before a judge in the V.I. Superior Court on Monday to face several charges that could land him in jail for a long time.

Marc Anthony Hosein was recently arrested and charged with false imprisonment and kidnapping, second-degree assault, third-degree assault, mayhem, discharging a firearm and unauthorized possession of a firearm during the commission of a crime of violence.

His arrest follows the issuance of a search warrant of Hosein’s home after an incident which took place on October 9, 2022.

According to documents before the court, on October 12 a female victim walked into the Marshall Command Police Station to provide police with a statement, saying that she had been in an abusive relationship with her ex-boyfriend Marc Anthony Hosein, and that the situation had gotten to a point where she was concerned for her safety and that of her family. She stated that Hosein had been continually abusing her physically, mentally and verbally.

The first incident, which occurred early this year, started outside Hosein’s home after the two got into a verbal altercation which quickly turned physical. According to the probable cause fact sheet, Hosein punched the woman multiple times in the face causing visible injuries. She stated that Hosein drove her to the hospital to treat her injuries and told her to tell no one that he had assaulted her or else he would kill her.

When a nurse inquired about her injuries, the victim told the nurse that she was beaten by some females. The nurse advised her that the matter had to be reported to the V.I. Police Department. When the officers arrived they began questioning the victim, however she said she lied to them, telling the officers instead that she had been assaulted by unknown female individuals.

Some time in August 2022, the victim was at Hosein’s residence when he told her that he had something to discuss with her. She stated that Hosein’s parents were not home and he started cursing at her and accusing her of many things. She said no matter what she said, Hosein did not believe her and he reached into his waistline and pulled out a black handgun and struck her about five times on the top of her head with the gun, according to the probable cause fact sheet.

He also struck her in the mouth, causing a black and blue mark on the inside of her lip. The victim said she was in a lot of pain and began to panic when she saw that she was bleeding from the head. She told police that she did not try to run away from Hosein because she was afraid that he would harm her family.

According to court documents, Hosein kept the victim locked inside his bedroom daily. He refused to allow her to use the bathroom or her phone when he was not around. She said it had gotten so bad that she contracted a UTI at least three times because he did not allow her to use the bathroom.

On October 8, both the victim and Hosein woke up from sleep and Hosein started questioning her, however he was not satisfied with her responses. She stated that he believed she was lying and started to torture her. Hosein went to the kitchen and poured cooking oil into a pot and placed it on the stove and waited for it to get hot. He then placed a spoon into the oil and left it there for several minutes, before removing it and placing it on different parts of her body, burning her severely, according to court documents.

The victim said that on October 12, she sensed that Hosein was going to end her life so she used the neighbor’s phone to call her mother to come get her. She said when her mother arrived, the mother broke down in tears when she saw her daughter’s condition and advised her that she needed to report the incident. The victim  then drove to the Ancilmo Marshall Command police station to make a report.

Police observed injuries on the victim including burns to both her cheeks and both sides of her arms and legs showing imprints of the design of the metal spoon, a lump on her forehead with a scar, and swelling, discoloration and injury to her top lip.

A check with the Firearms Bureau revealed that there was no record of a firearm and/or ammunition license issued to Hosein.

On November 13, a search warrant was issued for Hosein’s residence where police found firearms, ammunition, a holster, magazines, gun cleaning kits and targets. Hosein was subsequently arrested.

In court on Monday, a judge ruled that Hosein would be released upon posting $1,000 cash of his $75,000 bail, with the remainder to be posted as an unsecured bond. An unsecured bond means the defendant signs a document promising to pay a certain amount of money if the defendant breaks his/her bond conditions. In this case, that amount for Hosein would be $74,000.

Once posted, he would be released to a third-party custodian.

Hosein is barred from leaving St. Croix without the court’s written permission and must surrender his passport if he has one. He will be placed on 24-hr house arrest with an electronic monitor and only be allowed to leave the residence for work, court appearances and the hospital in case of emergencies.

He must report to the Office of Probation every Tuesday, and Hosein is to maintain a minimum distance of at least 1,000 ft from the victim and must have no contact, directly or indirectly, with the victim or any witness in the matter.

His next court appearance is scheduled for January 18, 2023.

This post was orig­i­nally pub­lished on this site

38 recommended
bookmark icon